Did You Know?
London’s food processing sector boasts an employee base of over 7,000 people - a number that has grown steadily over the past decade. London is in lockstep with the province of Ontario’s goal to create more than 100,000 jobs in agri-food by 2020 with the expectation that food processing will account for at least half that number. By building on successful legacies of robust companies like Maple Leaf Foods, McCormick Canada and Cargill Canada, London is poised to harvest rich rewards in this sector.
Convenient access to raw materials and major markets has historically been one of the leading reasons for attracting agri-food companies. London now has more than 60 food and beverage processing companies employing over 7,000 people and focused in baked goods, meat products, frozen desserts, spices, honey, alcoholic beverages and more.
- Innovation Park’s dual feed electricity supply and availability of high pressure natural gas lines offer advantages to food processing companies
- London is the only municipality in Canada that draws water from two great lakes. This water supply is certified to meet many elements of HACCP and ISO9001
- Easy access to Canada’s agricultural farm belt; supply chain support including temperature controlled and refrigerated logistics providers, equipment maintenance, and food grade packaging suppliers ; available industrial land and building infrastructure
Education, Research & Development
- Training facilities like Fanshawe College and Brescia University College provide critical skills development on food processing as well as nutrition, sciences, product development and food chemistry
- Western University students in the Faculty of Science are equipped with the necessary microbiology, biochemistry and analytical skills to succeed in the Food and Beverage industry
- The London Research and Development Centre is one of Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada’s (AAFC) national network of 20 research centres. The Centre conducts research in the areas of genomics, biotechnology and integrated pest management, as well as the protection and improvement of fruit and vegetable crops
Case StudyCase Study: The Original Cakerie
The LEDC worked with the Original Cakerie in securing a 25 acre site in London’s Innovation Park - a premier industrial site with Class A services including underground hydro with dual feeds, as well as easy access to a fresh water supply from Lake Erie and Lake Huron. With world-class infrastructure, a talented workforce and established supply chains, London is proud to be home to over 60 leading food and beverage companies. Click here to view the full case study.
Case StudyCase Study: Dr. Oetker
It's no accident Dr. Oetker chose London for the first-ever expansion out of Germany for its frozen pizza line. The city's farm base, skilled workers, abundant water supply, and up-to-date transport system made us an ideal suitor when the company came calling. Dr. Oetker's interest in London started in 2009 in a crowded room where a host of businesses met with their suppliers and districts. Click here to view the full case study.
The strong farming community in this region makes it a vital food Processing centre for business and commerce. From engineering, finance and food safety, we don’t have to look too far afield to find talent in all those areas.Derek Schoonbaert, Managing Director, Cargill Canada Living
June 3, 2019 | 11:30AM - 1:30PM
Join us on Monday June 3rd at Budweiser Gardens between 11:30 am and 1:30 pm for a lunchtime taste testing of some of London's best restaurants and catering companies and their Signature dishes.
June 11, 2019 | 8:30AM - 3:30PM
Are your daily activities aligning with your businesses strategic plan? Getting all stakeholders engaged with your key actions is essential to delivering results. You will learn how to build and execute an action plan that accomplishes your company's strategic plan. Presented by Bill Boyce, Executive Leader.
June 14, 2019 | 4:00PM - 11:00PM
If you love beer and grilled foods you can’t ask for a better place to be! Bring your friends and enjoy the true tastes of summer from local and regional vendors at the London Beer and BBQ Show.
May 24, 2019Swoop's summer schedule is in full swing at London Internation
Starting today, travellers from Southwestern Ontario will now be able to fly non-stop from London International with daily service to Abbotsford (Vancouver) and Halifax.
May 17, 2019Canadian Manufacturers & Exporters, Southwestern Ontario Branch recognizes 10 students with $20,000 in scholarships
On May 8, 2019, CME Southwestern Ontario Branch (CME-SWOB) celebrated its 24th annual Manufacturer’s Scholarship Awards and Recognition Night.
May 16, 2019Fields to Forks: Meet the 'Farm-hers'
CTV London’s Scott Miller on the increasingly important role women are playing in agriculture, from the barn to the boardroom. Video by: CTV London, May 16, 2019.