Did You Know?
London’s food processing sector boasts an employee base of over 7,000 people - a number that has grown steadily over the past decade. London is in lockstep with the province of Ontario’s goal to create more than 100,000 jobs in agri-food by 2020 with the expectation that food processing will account for at least half that number. By building on successful legacies of robust companies like Maple Leaf Foods, McCormick Canada and Cargill Canada, London is poised to harvest rich rewards in this sector.
Convenient access to raw materials and major markets has historically been one of the leading reasons for attracting agri-food companies. London now has more than 60 food and beverage processing companies employing over 7,000 people and focused in baked goods, meat products, frozen desserts, spices, honey, alcoholic beverages and more.
- Innovation Park’s dual feed electricity supply and availability of high pressure natural gas lines offer advantages to food processing companies
- London is the only municipality in Canada that draws water from two great lakes. This water supply is certified to meet many elements of HACCP and ISO9001
- Easy access to Canada’s agricultural farm belt; supply chain support including temperature controlled and refrigerated logistics providers, equipment maintenance, and food grade packaging suppliers ; available industrial land and building infrastructure
Education, Research & Development
- Training facilities like Fanshawe College and Brescia University College provide critical skills development on food processing as well as nutrition, sciences, product development and food chemistry
- Western University students in the Faculty of Science are equipped with the necessary microbiology, biochemistry and analytical skills to succeed in the Food and Beverage industry
- The London Research and Development Centre is one of Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada’s (AAFC) national network of 20 research centres. The Centre conducts research in the areas of genomics, biotechnology and integrated pest management, as well as the protection and improvement of fruit and vegetable crops
Case StudyCase Study: The Original Cakerie
The LEDC worked with the Original Cakerie in securing a 25 acre site in London’s Innovation Park - a premier industrial site with Class A services including underground hydro with dual feeds, as well as easy access to a fresh water supply from Lake Erie and Lake Huron. With world-class infrastructure, a talented workforce and established supply chains, London is proud to be home to over 60 leading food and beverage companies. Click here to view the full case study.
Case StudyCase Study: Dr. Oetker
It's no accident Dr. Oetker chose London for the first-ever expansion out of Germany for its frozen pizza line. The city's farm base, skilled workers, abundant water supply, and up-to-date transport system made us an ideal suitor when the company came calling. Dr. Oetker's interest in London started in 2009 in a crowded room where a host of businesses met with their suppliers and districts. Click here to view the full case study.
The strong farming community in this region makes it a vital food Processing centre for business and commerce. From engineering, finance and food safety, we don’t have to look too far afield to find talent in all those areas.Derek Schoonbaert, Managing Director, Cargill Canada Living
May 7, 2019 | 8:30AM - 3:30PM
Is your business being found online? Don't let potential customers slip away. You will learn how to use search engines to grow your business using both free and paid methods. Presented by Tyler Scott Bryden, CEO, SixFive Interactive.
May 14, 2019 | 8:00AM - 12:00PM
Discover how current federal and provincial immigration programs help with your immediate and ongoing talent needs.
June 11, 2019 | 8:30AM - 3:30PM
Are your daily activities aligning with your businesses strategic plan? Getting all stakeholders engaged with your key actions is essential to delivering results. You will learn how to build and execute an action plan that accomplishes your company's strategic plan. Presented by Bill Boyce, Executive Leader.
April 02, 2019Maximizing your Job Fair Experience
Attending a job fair soon? Discover answers to frequently asked job fair questions.
April 01, 2019London & Area Works: Kindness Cookies
A new cookie company is London is spreading kindness, one cookie at a time. Video by: Celine Moreau, CTV London, April 1, 2019.
March 11, 2019London & Area Works: Plover Mills Produce
Meet a local couple producing fresh, live, local lettuce, and also hoping to grow trust with their customers. Video by: Celine Moreau, CTV News London, March 11, 2019.