Did You Know?
London has all the right ingredients for your business. Located in the heart of southwestern Ontario’s 33,000 farms, this sector employs more than 7,000 people across 90+ companies.
London’s diverse agri-food sector has particular strengths in health and fermented foods, large scale processing as well as cannabis. With access to fresh ingredients, logistics and to 150 million consumers in a one-day drive, London is serving up fresh, locally made foods and is feeding the region, the country, and the world.
Maple Leaf Foods
Maple Leaf Foods is investing $606.5 million to construct a 640,000 sq.ft world-class poultry-processing plant—the largest Agri-food investment in Canada
Dr. Oetker produces Ristorante, Casa di Mama and Panebell frozen pizza for Canada and the United States, sourcing millions of pounds of high-quality raw ingredients locally
Nestle supplies all of Canada with frozen treats including popular ice cream brands like Drumstick, Hӓagen-Dazs and Parlour
Cargill produces all chicken items for McDonald’s Restaurants across Canada including the famous McNugget
Labatt Brewing Co
Founded in London in 1847, Labatt has evolved from a single small brewery to an internationally renowned brewer producing more than 350 million bottles annually
Nuts For Cheese
Nuts For Cheese’ premium and organic, hand-crafted vegan cheese can be found in major grocery stores across Canada including Loblaws, Sobeys and Farm Boy
Booch Organic Kombucha
Booch Organic Kombucha is one of Canada’s largest commercial producers of Kombucha—a probiotic-rich fermented tea beverage gaining wide popularity
Indiva is a Licenced Producer of cannabis, oils and soon edibles for the medicinal and recreational markets with flower rooms, an extraction facility and chocolate production equipment
LiveFit Foods is a leading food delivery service in Canada, that produces ready-made meals designed by a team of chefs, delivered with portion controlled farm-fresh ingredients
- London is the only municipality in Canada that draws fresh water from two great lakes, providing a redundant supply of high quality fresh water. This water is certified to meet many elements of HACCP and ISO9001
- Fully serviced industrial land at Innovation Park includes large capacity high pressure natural gas lines and redundant dual-feed electricity supply
- The existing agri-food supply chain includes companies providing IoT and Industry 4.0 solutions, automation equipment, cold and frozen storage, food grade packaging, and logistics
- London is an ideal test market for companies developing new products prior to nationwide launch. Tim Hortons™ dark roast coffee, McDonalds® chicken nuggets, and Blackfly Beverages craft coolers were all tested in London
- Situated strategically on the 401/402/403 highway system, London is within two hours of three major U.S. border crossings and offers international air service, Atlantic-Pacific-Gulf rail service, and access to multiple ports
Research & Development
- The London Research and Development Centre is one of Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada’s (AAFC) national network of 20 research centres. The Centre conducts research in the areas of genomics, biotechnology, and integrated pest management, as well as the protection and improvement of fruit and vegetable crops
- The Small Business Centre offers seminars for those interested in starting and scaling a business in the agri-food and beverage industry, with topics covering zoning, bylaws, safety requirements, and product development
- London’s Fermented Food Group conducts research on the health benefits of fermented foods
- The London Food Incubator provides affordable, supportive shared space for food production and distribution along with retail space
- Educational institutions Fanshawe College and Brescia University College offer industry-focused programs in food processing, nutrition sciences, product development and food chemistry
- Western University students in the Faculty of Science are equipped with the necessary microbiology, biochemistry, and analytical skills to succeed in the food and beverage industry and quality assurance fields
- Looking for jobs or talent in the London region’s food processing sector? Our London Manufacturing Jobs portal is a free resource to help employers promote their open positions and for jobseekers to discover careers
- The Canadian Agricultural Partnership (CAP) is a five-year, $3 billion investment by federal, provincial and territorial governments to strengthen the agriculture and agri-food sector
- The Southwestern Ontario Development Fund (SWODF) provides support for projects and investments to businesses, municipalities, and not-for-profit organizations for economic development in southwestern Ontario
- Federal Development Business Scale-Up and Productivity funding helps to accelerate growth of firms and assist with the adoption of new, innovative technologies that support scale-up, productivity, and the development of an entry into new markets
- CTV’s Made Right Here series showcases food and beverage products made in London
- The LEDC / Small Business Centre Food Accelerator Program provides training and grants to assist growing food production businesses
- The LEDC in partnership with the Excellence in Manufacturing Consortium and London Region Manufacturing Council offer Agri-food specific programming on topics like regulatory compliance and food safety, funding, procurement, supply chain and distribution
Case StudyCase Study: The Original Cakerie
The LEDC worked with the Original Cakerie in securing a 25 acre site in London’s Innovation Park - a premier industrial site with Class A services including underground hydro with dual feeds, as well as easy access to a fresh water supply from Lake Erie and Lake Huron. With world-class infrastructure, a talented workforce and established supply chains, London is proud to be home to over 60 leading food and beverage companies. Click here to view the full case study.
Case StudyCase Study: Dr. Oetker
It's no accident Dr. Oetker chose London for the first-ever expansion out of Germany for its frozen pizza line. The city's farm base, skilled workers, abundant water supply, and up-to-date transport system made us an ideal suitor when the company came calling. Dr. Oetker's interest in London started in 2009 in a crowded room where a host of businesses met with their suppliers and districts. Click here to view the full case study.
Testimonial: Forked River Brewing Company
Londoners' support of creativity makes the city the perfect place for the innovative and daring craft brewery.Andrew Peters, Founder, Forked River Brewing Company
Looking for jobs or talent for manufacturing jobs in London and area? Look no further. Our London Manufacturing Jobs page is dedicated to showcasing open job postings in this thriving sector.
January 21, 2020 | 7 PM
Forest therapy guide and trainer Ben Porchuk tells us what we have known intuitively for a long time – the physical, health, psychological and spiritual benefits of walking in the forest. He will also point us to nearby forest trails.
January 22, 2020 | 7:30AM - 9:15AM
The Chamber's State of the City Address is held annually and is a one of a kind event to mark the beginning of a new year. It sets the tone for both Mayor and Council as they set out to tackle the important issues that face our municipality. It has become a must-attend event for the London business community drawing an attendance of over 1200 people.
January 23, 2020 | 11:30AM - 1:30PM
The Canadian Club of London, established in 1906, is one of London’s oldest organizations. They bring prominent Canadians to the city to speak on topical issues of national and international interest in the arts, history, business, finance, education, law and politics. Join them to hear from Dr. Pamela Cushing on creating inclusion and connection across differences.
January 06, 2020London McDonald's one of two Canadian stores piloting plastic-free packaging
One London McDonald’s location is leaving plastic packaging behind, doling out wooden cutlery, paper straws and paper cup lids to patrons as part of a closely tracked pilot project by McDonald’s Canada’s corporate office. Article by: Jennifer Bieman, The London Free Press, January 3, 2020.
January 05, 2020New cafe brings some Syrian flavour to London
The shop features pastries, coffee and exotic nuts roasted in house. Welcome to London, Mo Mbhan! Check out his venture, Viola Gourmet cafe, at 312 Commissioners Road West in London. Article by: Andrew Lupton, CBC News London, January 5, 2020.
January 03, 2020Cannabis 2.0: Industry turns a new leaf
Welcome to Cannabis 2.0, the next wave in the rollout of legal marijuana products in Canada. Read about what regional employers Indiva, WeedMD, and Eve and Co. are producing in this next wave. Article by: Dale Carruthers, The London Free Press, January 3, 2020.