Did You Know?
London’s food processing sector boasts an employee base of over 6,000 people - a number that has grown steadily over the past decade. London is in lockstep with the province of Ontario’s goal to create more than 100,000 jobs in agri-food by 2020 with the expectation that food processing will account for at least half that number. By building on successful legacies of robust companies like McCormick Canada and Cargill Canada, London is poised to harvest rich rewards in this sector.
Convenient access to raw materials and major markets has historically been one of the leading reasons for attracting agri-food companies. London now has more than 60 food and beverage processing companies employing over 6,000 people and focused in baked goods, meat products, frozen desserts, spices, honey, alcoholic beverages and more.
- Innovation Park’s dual feed electricity supply and availability of high pressure natural gas lines offer advantages to food processing companies
- Easy access to Canada’s agricultural farm belt; supply chain support including temperature controlled and refrigerated logistics providers, equipment maintenance, and food grade packaging suppliers; unique fresh water supply system certified to meet many elements of HACCP and ISO9001; available industrial land and building infrastructure
Education, Research & Development
- Training facilities like Fanshawe College and Brescia University College provide critical skills development on food processing as well as nutrition, sciences, product development and food chemistry
- Western University students in the Faculty of Science are equipped with the necessary microbiology, biochemistry and analytical skills to succeed in the Food and Beverage industry
- The London Research and Development Centre is one of Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada’s (AAFC) national network of 20 research centres. The Centre conducts research in the areas of genomics, biotechnology and integrated pest management, as well as the protection and improvement of fruit and vegetable crops
Case StudyThe Original Cakerie
The LEDC worked with the Original Cakerie in securing a 25 acre site in London’s Innovation Park - a premier industrial site with Class A services including underground hydro with dual feeds, as well as easy access to a fresh water supply from Lake Erie and Lake Huron. With world-class infrastructure, a talented workforce and established supply chains, London is proud to be home to over 60 leading food and beverage companies. Click here to view the full case study.
Case StudyDr. Oetker
It's no accident Dr. Oetker chose London for the first-ever expansion out of Germany for its frozen pizza line. The city's farm base, skilled workers, abundant water supply, and up-to-date transport system made us an ideal suitor when the company came calling. Dr. Oetker's interest in London started in 2009 in a crowded room where a host of businesses met with their suppliers and districts. Click here to view the full case study.
The strong farming community in this region makes it a vital food Processing centre for business and commerce. From engineering, finance and food safety, we don’t have to look too far afield to find talent in all those areas.Derek Schoonbaert, Managing Director, Cargill Canada Living
November 23, 2017 | 4:30pm - 7:00pm
This is a MEGA networking event, with opportunities to make new business contacts & view exhibits, along with tasty food samples, cash bar & some surprises.
November 25, 2017 | 1:00 PM - 8:00 PM
London Beer Festival meets Epic Christmas Party! 18 Breweries, 2 cideries, 2 distlllers, food, games, giveaways and so much more.
November 29, 2017 | 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM
Got a great idea for a food business? Want to learn how to turn your winning recipe into a successful venture? Attend this 3 hour seminar to learn what it takes to start a food business.
November 17, 2017Booming ice cream factory eyes expansion
Local Nestle factory boosts its capacity, gears up for major expansion. Article by: Hank Dainszewski, the London Free Press, November 17, 2017.
November 09, 2017New food festival in London begins today
Taste of Vegan London: London's vegan restaurant tour is on November 9 until November 20. Check out which restaurants are participating.
November 07, 2017Canada's Top 100 Employers 2018
Many London, Ontario employers leading the way in offering exceptional workplaces for their employees. Congratulations to Digital Extremes, 3M Canada, EllisDon, Labatt Brewery, and Cargill.