Welcome to London
- A safe and welcoming city with a small-town charm and big-city appeal, London, Ontario, Canada is attracting global companies, investments, and talent. The city offers job opportunities, education, culture, music, dining, shopping, and fun for the whole family.
- Situated midway between Detroit and Toronto, London is currently the 11th largest city in Canada, with a population of approximately 532,984 people in the census metropolitan area (Source: Statistics Canada).
- Learn about living, working, playing, and learning in London in LEDC's new London Magazine, where you'll read about local companies and Londoners. Order free copies directly on our website, using the 'Order Free Magazine' button at the top left of any of our website pages. You can also read it virutally in this PDF.
- Please enjoy reading more about London on our Why London page and in this Welcome Letter from the Ed Holder, Mayor for the City of London.
- Read about London's Newcomer Strategy and The Conference Board of Canada's report to develop an Ontario Regional Immigration Strategy.
Living in London
If it is affordability and safety of a mid-sized community combined with the business and career opportunities of a big city that you’re looking for, London is a perfect choice. No matter where your interests lie, from outdoor activities, music, food, or work life balance, you’re sure to discover exactly why people choose to call London home.
- Housing: London’s safe and secure community offers affordable and quality housing options. Choose heritage-rich, Victorian-era homes in historically significant neighbourhoods such as Wortley Village, Old East Village, or Historic Woodfield, or select modern, energy efficient communities like Sifton West 5.
- Food & Restaurants: Farm-fresh markets and restaurants throughout London flourish from the abundant supply of locally grown, high-quality produce used in London’s award-winning restaurants, which offer homegrown favourites to international cuisine.
- Arts & Culture: London is known for appreciating and preserving its unique history. Enjoy a stroll through designated heritage conservation areas, the world-class art collections at Museum London, or catch a live performance at the majestic Grand Theatre. Find more arts and culture resources in our London Concierge.
- Transportation: Commuting in London is easy with a readily available public transit system that is continually making enhancements and a lower than average commute time compared to the rest of Canada. For those looking for activities in the region, London’s international airport, train, and bus stations as well as access to Highways 401, 402, and 403 provide quick and easy access for weekend trips, vacations, travel, business, and leisure.
Working in London
London has a diverse business community with a well-balanced economy that embraces strengths in manufacturing, food and beverage processing, healthcare, professional services, and digital creative services.
- Scale-up ready entrepreneurs thrive in London, with all the resources that they need to succeed easily accessible from our Accelerate portal.
- Businesses in London can easily access development and training, mentorship, funding, and space and incubation to accelerate faster in London’s nationally recognized test market.
- Access to talent is a key success factor for London's many growing companies, while jobseekers benefit from London's career opportunities and vibrant quality of life. Learn more about working in London on our Talent portal.
Playing in London
Known as the ‘Forest City’, London features tree-lined streets, 470+ parks and open spaces, and over 330 kilometres of walking and biking trails. From ski slopes and winter chalets to performance venues and community festivals — London will keep you entertained year-round.
- National Events: London has hosted national events such as the Canadian Country Music Awards, the World Figure Skating Championships, and will soon host the 2019 Juno Awards.
- Music City: From intimate performances at Aeolian Hall to the main stage at Budweiser Gardens or London Music Hall, there’s always something playing. World-class productions by Justin Bieber, Elton John, Janet Jackson, Pearl Jam, Keith Urban, Ed Sheeran, Tiesto, Calvin Harris, The Weeknd, and Cirque du Soleil have all graced the stages of London. With a rich musical history, London continues to grow its music scene as new artists and bands emerge, through supports such as the London Music Office. Take a look at London's musical past and present in this article.
- Sports & Recreation: London is home to some of the best professional sports teams in the country, including the London Knights hockey team, London Lightning Basketball, Forest City London Soccer Club, and the London Majors Baseball team.
- Active Outdoors: London offers large riverside parks, hiking trails, and outdoor activities for everyone from the adventure seeker to the nature lover. There’s always a fairway ready to play with over 21 private, semi-private and public golf courses. In the winter, enjoy skating at the rink outside of the Covent Garden Market or hit the slopes at Boler Mountain - a haven for skiing, snowboarding, and tubing.