Did You Know?
London’s digital creative sector - with over 300 companies employing more than 9,000 people - has been built on innovative local start-up ventures finding a niche market and growing into successful Canadian and global players like Autodata Solutions, Info-Tech Research Group and Big Blue Bubble.
The arts have inherent value and make an enormous contribution to the quality of life and vibrancy of London. Artists and arts organizations offer arts programs for learners of all ages.
MADE | NOUS
MADE | NOUS celebrates the works of Canadian creators in film, television, video games and digital entertainment, both here and around the world.
Technology companies in London specialize in interactive game development, manufacturing plant floor software, financial services, asset management, content management middleware and creative content.
- Infrastructure such as affordable downtown office space including many heritage buildings, fibre optic connectivity, certified data centre sites, and great entertainment venues are among the reasons why an increasing number of technology companies are choosing London
- Technology incubation and acceleration opportunities exist at the Western University Research Park and downtown London’s Innovation Works, WrkHub, Regus, and Springboard.
- London has 1,200 arts and culture businesses employing 7,700 workers with 6,000 students enrolled in arts and culture programming. Arts and culture makes a direct contribution of $540 million to the regional economy.
- From sell-out performances at one of our world-class venues, to hosting internationally-acclaimed awards shows, London is a music city. Take a look at this timeline to learn more about our music history:
Education, Research & Development
- Funding resources: Discover funding opportunities for your film or interactive digital media business
- TechAlliance helps entrepreneurs with new technologies or fast-growing tech companies access resources and expertise through services such as business analysis, prototyping, market intelligence, and access to capital
- OIART is the first school of its kind in North America providing an education that prepares students for the audio industry
- The London Arts Council and the London Heritage Council have cultural related programming including mentorship, youth engagement, and arts education
- Western University has programs in Computer Science, including a minor in game development and Computer and Software Engineering
- Fanshawe College has programs in Information Technology such as programming and networking, as well as Contemporary Media including digital media, games, 3D animation and web development
- The new Centre for Digital and Performing Arts (CDPA) with Fanshawe College is a 50,000 square-foot facility, located in the heart of downtown London, is equipped with modern labs, classrooms, and collaborative learning spaces for 400 students and staff. The centre is home to a number of Fanshawe's creative programs, such as 3D Animation and Character Design, Interactive Media Design and Production, Technical Costume Studies, and Theatre Arts.
- For those who want hands-on experience in production as well as the theoretical background necessary to critically analyze media, Western offers an Information and Media Studies program that teaches students the fundamentals that they will need to pursue a successful career in a media-related field.
Case StudyCase Study: Bron Animation
Bron Studios Inc., a British Columbia film production company, opened a London office for its animation division in 2016. The new business helps diversify London's growing digital media sector that includes 300 tech businesses, with 40 in digital media. The London studio will help woo talent from across Ontario, as well as grow the industry locally. Click here to view the full case study.
London’s digital creative sector has grown in all aspects. The roles and programs have become more diverse and more specialized, and we have certainly benefited from that growth.Greg Perrier, President and CEO, Autodata Solutions
London Tech Jobs
Looking for jobs or talent in the tech sector in London? Look no further. Our London Tech Jobs page is dedicated to showcasing open job postings by the most innovative companies in this quickly growing sector.
July 22-26, 2019 | 9:00AM - 4:00PM
The FDS Young Innovators Program empowers kids to create, innovate and develop their entrepreneurial skills. We help kids uncover their passion, build prototypes and pitch solutions that bring meaningful change to the world.
July 22, 2019
Music Mondays is a series of free outdoor lunch time concerts taking over Central Library’s Rotary Reading Garden, a beautiful downtown oasis. Each show will feature London artists covering an array of musical genres throughout the summer.
July 22, 2019 | 7:00PM
The London Lesbian Film Festival is proud to present this year's Pride Film Night at Aeolian Hall.
July 19, 2019London first North American municipality to launch app-free parking technology
In partnership with HonkMobile (Honk), the City of London is the first city in North America to roll out the HonkTAP option to pay for parking on all on- and off- street parking locations. Article by: London Inc. Magazine, July 19, 2019.
July 18, 2019Arts, culture, fun in London this weekend and beyond (July 18-24)
What’s happening in and around London this weekend and next week. Article by: The London Free Press, July 18, 2019.
July 18, 2019Home County takes over Victoria Park Friday
More than 50 musical acts, six stages, and dozens of one-of-a-kind craft vendors will once again draw roughly 55,000 people to Victoria Park over the weekend. Article by: Miranda Chant, Blackburn News London, July 18, 2019.