Did You Know?
Next time you play a mobile or PC game, visit an ATM, place an order at Tim Horton’s, or watch a Hollywood feature film, you may be interacting with content and products made here in London.
Home to some of the fastest growing companies in Canada as recognized by Deloitte, London’s digital creative sector is creating solutions for customers locally and around the world. The technology developed in this sector influences many other industries - from enhancing medical procedures and manufacturing processes to making everyday financial transactions easier and more secure.
With strengths in information communication technology (ICT), digital media and financial technology, London’s 350+ digital creative companies employ over 9,000 people. On the creative side, the film, music, and arts and culture businesses are driving growth in this sector.
MADE | NOUS
MADE | NOUS celebrates the works of Canadian creators in film, television, video games and digital entertainment, both here and around the world.
Digital Extremes, creators of Warframe, proudly ranks as one of the world’s top development studios in the interactive entertainment industry.
StarTech.com has grown from humble beginnings to become a global manufacturer of over 3,000 products with operations in three continents.
Info-Tech Research Group
Info-Tech Research Group is one of the world’s fastest growing IT research and advisory firms. Headquartered in London, Info-Tech’s new $17.5 million, 70,000 sq.ft office comprises a group of heritage buildings renovated with innovative fixtures.
IO Industries Inc. designs and manufactures cutting-edge digital video equipment used by the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), Netflix, the US Military, Major League Baseball (MBL) and Hollywood films.
Digital Boundary Group
Digital Boundary Group is an information technology security assurance services firm serving clients worldwide with technology security auditing and compliance assessment services.
Voices.com—one of Canada’s fastest growing companies, is the largest online marketplace of professional independent and talent agency represented voice actors.
Start.ca is a fast-growing and community-oriented cable and fibre-optic provider serving consumers and businesses in London and Ontario.
Mobials is a fast-growing software company at the forefront of innovation of digital retailing tools for automotive dealerships. Mobials’ technology helps evaluate what a trade-in may be worth or cost of insurance on a new vehicle.
- London offers some of the most affordable Class A office space of Canada’s largest metropolitan cities and a number of collaborative, co-working and incubation spaces including Wrkhub, 100 Kellogg Lane, Innovation Works, RH Accelerator, and the Stiller Centre for Technology Commercialization
- Lower commute times of less than 30 minutes and readily available public transit. London Transit Commission continuously makes upgrades to their services, in addition to the City of London's recent investments into bus-rapid transit, which makes getting around the city easier in London than in other nearby centres
- The City is well serviced by reliable, high-performance networks offering high-speed internet, fibre and dark fibre connectivity and fully-featured Certified Data Centres
- London is an ideal test market for companies developing new products and services prior to nationwide launch. TD Canada Trust’s “Johnny Cash” machines, Rogers’ a-la-carte cable services and Cineplex Digital Media’s in-store digital advertising signs were all tested in London
- A connected ecosystem with engaging industry groups including: Dev-London, Game Slice, London Front-End Development, London Full Stack, and Ladies that UX
Research & Development
- Fanshawe College’s REACTR program provides companies with student-driven solutions in large scale web development, graphic design and branding, web development and digital media strategy
- TechAlliance helps entrepreneurs with new technologies or fast-growing tech companies access resources and expertise by providing business analysis, prototyping, and market intelligence services
- Fanshawe College’s Canadian Centre for Product Validation is the first of its kind in Canada offering comprehensive expertise for prototyping, validation, and failure analysis
- Numerous departments at Western University conduct cutting-edge research in areas of Information Engineering, Digital Transformations, Communication Information, Internet Technologies, Human Computer-Interaction (HCI) and Computer Science
- Fanshawe College’s Centre for Research and Innovation (CRI) is their industry collaboration centre that facilitates partnerships for research and innovation
- Mitacs builds partnerships between academia and industry to solve industry research challenges, help companies leverage funding and advance innovation
- Fanshawe College offers programs in Interactive Media Design and Music Industry Arts, which collaborate closely with industry to offer co-ops and internships, conduct research projects, and build courses that match industry needs
- From Information and Media Studies to Computer Science, Western University offers a range of technical and creative programs
- The Ontario Institute of Audio Recording Technology (OIART) is the first school of its kind in North America providing an education that prepares students for the audio industry
- London is home to the Forest City Film Festival, which celebrates the art of cinema through a regional lens with a focus on national and global films and filmmakers connected to southwestern Ontario. Each year, they honour successes, showcase new and compelling artists, and inspire future ones
- The London Music Office is a division of the City of London and provides assistance toward the growth and development of the music industry in London. The office provides music education and incubation, engagement opportunities for musicians, and connects artists to funding and resources
- Looking for jobs or talent in the London region’s digital creative sector? Our London Tech Jobs portal is a free resource to help employers promote their open positions and for jobseekers to discover careers
- Ontario Creates supports businesses in the publishing, film and television, interactive digital media, and music industries through business affairs and research services, industry development and initiatives, and tax credit and financing programs. They’ve developed a Digital Library with the Ontario Film Commission featuring 400,000 digital images to help film and TV producers scout potential filming sites
- Ontario Centres of Excellence supports the commercialization of academic intellectual property, industry-academic collaborations and the development of emerging technologies such as 5G, advanced computing, and autonomous vehicles
- Federal Development Business Scale-Up and Productivity funding helps to accelerate growth of firms and assist with the adoption of new, innovative technologies that support scale-up, productivity, and the development of an entry into new markets
- The Strategic Innovation Fund offers repayable and non-repayable loans through four streams that support R&D commercialization, firm expansion and growth, investment attraction and reinvestment; and collaborative technology development
- The Southwestern Ontario Development Fund (SWODF) provides support for projects and investments to businesses, municipalities, and not-for-profit organizations for economic development in southwestern Ontario
- The Southern Ontario Fund for Investment in Innovation (SOFII) loan program, supports high-growth, innovative Small and Medium-sized Enterprises to overcome challenges
Case StudyCase Study: Bron Animation
Bron Studios Inc., a British Columbia film production company, opened a London office for its animation division in 2016. The new business helps diversify London's growing digital media sector that includes 300 tech businesses, with 40 in digital media. The London studio will help woo talent from across Ontario, as well as grow the industry locally. Click here to view the full case study.
There were so many benefits to building our business in London - from access to capital and skilled talent at Western University and Fanshawe College, to the network of support, including the London Economic Development Corporation and TechAlliance.David Ciccarelli, CEO and Co-Founder, Voices.com
London Tech Jobs
Looking for jobs or talent in the tech sector in London? Look no further. Our London Tech Jobs page is dedicated to showcasing open job postings by the most innovative companies in this quickly growing sector.
November 20, 2019 | 9:00AM - 10:00AM
Join entrepreneurs, freelancers and marketers working remotely for a FREE virtual water cooler chat during Global Entrepreneurship Week.
November 20, 2019 | 11:00AM - 11:30AM
Leap Junction is Fanshawe College’s entrepreneurship center. Come learn more about how they can help you grow your idea into a business.
November 20, 2019 | 3:00PM - 5:00PM
Interested in entrepreneurship but don’t have an idea? Consider Proteus – a four-month long competition that challenges you to create a commercialization plan for 1 of 3 technologies developed out of Ontario's research institutions.
November 12, 2019Race Roster recognized as Deloitte Technology Fast 500 and Fast 50 Winner for 2019
Congratulations to London-based race registration platform developer Race Roster on the recognition.
November 12, 2019My Singing Monsters Toys Chosen as Finalist for the 2020 Toy of the Year Awards
PlayMonster’s line of singing toys based on Big Blue Bubble’s hit mobile game garners Collectible of the Year nomination.
November 05, 2019Digital Echidna Wins Two Acquia Engage Awards
North American Acquia Engage recognizes excellence in digital experience delivery.