Did You Know?
London’s digital creative sector - with over 300 companies employing more than 9,000 people - has been built on innovative local start-up ventures finding a niche market and growing into successful Canadian and global players like Autodata Solutions, Info-Tech Research Group and Big Blue Bubble.
The arts have inherent value and make an enormous contribution to the quality of life and vibrancy of London. Artists and arts organizations offer arts programs for learners of all ages.
Technology companies in London specialize in interactive game development, manufacturing plant floor software, financial services, asset management, content management middleware and creative content.
- Infrastructure such as affordable downtown office space including many heritage buildings, fibre optic connectivity, certified data centre sites, and great entertainment venues are among the reasons why an increasing number of technology companies are choosing London
- Technology incubation and acceleration opportunities exist at the Western University Research Park and downtown London’s Hacker Studios, Innovation Works, Magnus Associates, Regus and UnLondon Digital Media Association
- London has 1200 arts and culture businesses employing 7700 workers with 6000 students enrolled in arts and culture programming. Arts and culture makes a direct contribution of $540 million to the regional economy.
Education, Research & Development
- TechAlliance helps entrepreneurs with new technologies or fast-growing tech companies access resources and expertise through services such as business analysis, prototyping, market intelligence, and access to capital
- OIART is the first school of it's kind in North America providing an education that prepares students for the audio industry
- The London Arts Council and the London Heritage Council have cultural related programming including mentorship, youth engagement, and arts education
- Western University has programs in Computer Science, including a minor in game development and Computer and Software Engineering
- Fanshawe College has programs in Information Technology such as programming and networking, as well as Contemporary Media including digital media, games, 3D animation and web development
- The new Centre for Digital and Performing Arts (CDPA) with Fanshawe College is a 50,000 square-foot facility, located in the heart of downtown London, is equipped with modern labs, classrooms, and collaborative learning spaces for 400 students and staff. The centre is home to a number of Fanshawe's creative programs, such as 3D Animation and Character Design, Interactive Media Design and Production, Technical Costume Studies, and Theatre Arts.
- For those who want hands-on experience in production as well as the theoretical background necessary to critically analyze media, Western offers an Information and Media Studies program that teaches students the fundamentals that they will need to pursue a successful career in a media-related field.
Case StudyCase Study: Bron Animation
Bron Studios Inc., a British Columbia film production company, opened a London office for its animation division in 2016. The new business helps diversify London's growing digital media sector that includes 300 tech businesses, with 40 in digital media. The London studio will help woo talent from across Ontario, as well as grow the industry locally. Click here to view the full case study.
London’s digital creative sector has grown in all aspects. The roles and programs have become more diverse and more specialized, and we have certainly benefitted from that growth.Greg Perrier, President and CEO, Autodata Solutions
London Tech Jobs
Looking for jobs or talent in the tech sector in London? Look no further. Our London Tech Jobs page is dedicated to showcasing open job postings by the most innovative companies in this quickly growing sector.
February 20, 2018 | 10:00AM to 12:00PM
Do you take notes to keep track of your thoughts, but you can't keep track of where the notes are? Envision an electronic notebook where you take notes, jot down things to remember, capture photos or audio notes, link spreadsheets, download meeting details to which you can then add meeting notes, etc.
February 28, 2018 | 8:30AM - 3:30PM
Digital marketing is the highest growth area in business and one of the leading ways that businesses and organizations are transforming. This workshop will highlight the main components required to succeed in the digital marketing world.
March 1, 2018 | 3:00PM to 5:00PM
Publisher is good for creating brochures, flyers, booklets, name tags, and more. See how it differs from Word and why it is a better option for creating these particular documents. We will touch on tips to quickly assemble your publications with minimal fuss.
February 08, 2018Heritage award winner finds market
A renovation of a rare commercial building is one of the winners of the 11th annual Heritage Awards announced Thursday. Article by: Hank Dainszewski, the London Free Press, February 8, 2018.
February 05, 2018Echidna Again Ranked Amongst Canada’s Top Web Developers by Clutch
For the second straight year, London, ON-based Digital Echidna finds itself recognized by Washington D.C.-based Clutch as one of Canada’s leading web development companies.
January 24, 2018Downtown digital shuffle continues
Two fast-growing London digital firms find new downtown digs. Article by: Hank Dainszewski, the London Free Press, January 24, 2018.