Learn the basics around the terms and concepts of financial statements
Review and understand financial statements, and be able to ask informed questions of financial professionals.
- How’s the business doing?
- Did we make money this year?
- What does my P&L tell me?
- Why do I need a balance sheet?
- Where is my cash coming from?
- Where is my cash going to?
- Why isn’t my cash equal to my profit?
- Profit and Loss Statement — gives operating results for a specific period
- Balance Sheet
- shows the assets, liabilities, and capital of a business or other organization at a particular point in time.
- details the balance of income and expenditure over the preceding period.
- Cash Flow Statement
- shows how changes in balance sheet accounts and income affect cash and cash equivalents
- breaks analysis down to operating, investing and financing activities
Presented by Edward Sawaya, B. Comm., CPA CA, CFA, CBV, the founder and managing partner of Sawaya CPA, a tax and advisory boutique firm focused on providing a holistic advisory approach to its clients, mostly small and medium-sized business owners. Please visit our website at sawayacpa.ca for more information. Edward graduated from the University of Ottawa with a Bachelor of Commerce. Edward is a Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA, CA) and holds the Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) designation. He is also a Chartered Business Valuator (CBV).