Did You Know?
Situated halfway between Toronto and Detroit on the 401 Superhighway, London offers a strategic location for accessing 150 million consumers within a one-day truck drive to the vast U.S. market.
Manufacturers benefit from Canada's abundance of high skilled labour, excellent healthcare, and preferred access to both U.S. and European markets through the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement (USMCA) and the Canada-European Union Comprehensive Economic Trade Agreement (CETA).
London's manufacturing sector has strengths in advanced materials, industry 4.0, aerospace, defence, automotive, building materials, environmental technology, and sporting goods.
- Fully serviced industrial land at Innovation Park includes large capacity high pressure natural gas lines and redundant dual-feed electricity supply
- Situated strategically on the 401/402/403 highway system, London is within two hours of three major USA border crossings
- London is the only municipality in Canada that draws fresh water from two great lakes, providing a redundant supply of high quality fresh water. This water is certified to meet many elements of HACCP and ISO9001
- The existing manufacturing supply chain includes 12 Original Equipment Manufacturer’s (OEMs) and many Tiers 1-3, logistics, distribution, warehousing, robotics, and Industry 4.0 firms
- Controlled Goods Certified Intermodal Trans-Loading facilities are available with railcar storage and 350,000lb overhead crane capacity to provide excellent access to the North American railway system through CN and CP railway systems
- London International Airport offers 24 hour Canada Customs service and a 40,000 square foot multi-unit cargo complex and direct flights via Air Canada and Westjet, to Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Calgary, Winnipeg, Halifax, and Moncton
Research & Development
- Fanshawe College’s Canadian Centre for Product Validation is the first of its kind in Canada offering comprehensive expertise for prototyping, validation, and failure analysis
- The Centre for Research and Innovation at Fanshawe College links industry, business and community partners with Fanshawe student and faculty researchers to develop research and innovation projects and programs.
- At Western University, manufacturers can leverage the Fraunhofer Project Centre for Composites to test and develop industrial products, as well as Surface Science and the Biotron for research and development services in the energy, environmental, and automotive sectors. Companies can also collaborate with Western’s Industry 4.0 Network to investigate projects on cyber technologies and automation
- The National Research Council has a Manufacturing and Automotive Innovation Hub in London to help automotive manufacturers adopt more advance manufacturing approaches, including mass customization, process industrialization, and data-driven factory automation
- Companies in the green and clean technologies space can access the Southern Ontario Water Consortium for support the installation, testing, and validation of innovative water technologies
- More than 40 skilled trade and apprenticeship programs are offered at Fanshawe College, focused on construction, industrial, motive power and service. At the post-degree level, employees can access programs at Fanshawe’s Corporate Training Solutions to enhance their trades and technology skills
- Western Engineering provides talented graduates and interns from a range of programs including chemical, civil, computer, electrical, green process, integrated, mechanical, and mechatronic, and software
- Local employees demonstrate commitment with a low turnover rate. Average tenure for Ontario manufacturing jobs is 9 years.
- London Region Composites Training – LEDC coordinates training programs in response to industry
- The Frontline Supervisor Program, delivered in partnership with the Ivey Academy and Fanshawe Corporate Training Solutions, provides supervisors, lead hands, and team leaders with essential leadership and communication skills
- Looking for jobs or talent in the London region’s manufacturing sector? Our London Manufacturing Jobs portal is a free resource to help employers promote their open positions and for jobseekers to discover careers
- The Ontario Automotive Modernization Program (O-AMP) provides funding for up to $100,000 to help cover up to 50% of eligible project costs, to introduce new technology or lean manufacturing to your business
- The Southwestern Ontario Development Fund (SWODF) provides qualifying corporations with funding for projects that create jobs, encourage innovation, collaboration and cluster development and attract private sector investment
- Federal Development Business Scale-Up and Productivity funding helps to accelerate growth of firms and assist with the adoption of new, innovative technologies that support scale-up, productivity, and the development of an entry into new markets
- The Strategic Innovation Fund offers repayable and non-repayable loans through four streams that support R&D commercialization, firm expansion and growth, investment attraction and reinvestment, and collaborative technology development
- The Southern Ontario Fund for Investment in Innovation (SOFII) loan program, supports high-growth, innovative Small and Medium-sized Enterprises to overcome challenges
- The Canada-Ontario Job Grant provides direct financial support to employers who wish to purchase training for their employees
- Manufacturing Matters is an annual half-day conference that showcases industry leaders, provides B2B networking opportunities and breakout sessions on key topics like funding, skills development, recruitment, labour law, workplace safety and cyber security
- CTV’s Made Right Here Series showcases a variety of products manufactured in London
- The Excellence in Manufacturing Consortium (EMC) offers a broad range of services and programs to help manufacturers become more competitive
- The London Region Manufacturing Council (LRMC) is an industry-driven council that fosters growth and prosperity of the manufacturing industry in the London area
- The Canadian Manufacturers & Exporters, Southwestern Ontario Branch (CME-SWOB) awards scholarships to students pursuing careers in engineering and the skilled trades at an annual Manufacturer’s Recognition ceremony
Case StudyCase Study: Brose Canada Inc.
With a workforce of 750 and investments totaling $170 million, the international auto parts maker based in Germany is one of London’s largest players in the advanced manufacturing sector. Since 2005, Brose Canada has stamped more than 180 million seat frames and 22.5 million seat adjusters at its two London plants. Click here to view the full case study.
Testimonial: Starlim North America
London gives us the ability to serve our customers, regardless of where they are in the world, which has been integral to our growth. We've tapped into the educational institutions in the city to put employees through training for mold making or tooling. Those employees are now our leaders.
Vijai Lakshmikanthan, Vice President, Starlim North America
Looking for jobs or talent for manufacturing jobs in London and area? Look no further. Our London Manufacturing Jobs page is dedicated to showcasing open job postings in this thriving sector.
September 24, 2019 | 2:00PM - 7:00PM
Jobseekers are invited to connect with hiring employers - bring your resume, your enthusiasm and your skills to make your next career connection. Employers with open positions and employment agencies are invited to attend. This is a save the date - stay tuned for more details.
September 24, 2019 | 5:00PM - 7:30PM
This month our focus will be on the importance of mental health and the impact that mental health has on every aspect of the community.
September 25, 2019 | 7:45AM - 11:30AM
Learn more about the Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement for the Trans-Pacific Partnership (CPTPP) and how you can use it to benefit your business. Hear about recent updates to the agreement and Export Opportunities in the Asia Pacific.
September 17, 2019Jones launches first-of-its-kind online ordering platform for pharmacists
Customers can now order pharmacy supplies 24/7 from Jones Healthcare’s Pharmacy Store.
September 13, 2019Spark Power Opens its London Hub
It’s big. It’s modern. It’s strategically located in London, ON. It’s the 50,000 sq. ft. Spark Power London Hub, and it had its grand opening on Tuesday, September 10, 2019.
September 12, 2019Ontario Automotive Modernization Program
As an auto parts supplier, learn how you can receive support when you introduce new technology or lean manufacturing to your business. The program is now open for applications.