Did You Know?
Situated halfway between Toronto and Detroit on the 401 Superhighway, London offers a strategic location for accessing 150 million consumers within a one-day truck drive to the vast U.S. market.
Manufacturers benefit from Canada's abundance of high skilled labour, excellent healthcare, and preferred access to both U.S. and European markets through the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement (USMCA) and the Canada-European Union Comprehensive Economic Trade Agreement (CETA).
London's manufacturing sector has strengths in advanced materials, industry 4.0, aerospace, defence, automotive, building materials, environmental technology, and sporting goods.
Starlim North America
Starlim North America is a global leader in the manufacturing of silicone parts and specializing in custom Liquid Silicone Rubber moulding for health care and automotive industries
Brose has been present in Canada since 2005 with two plants in London producing seat adjusters and components for Volkswagen, Ford, Subaru, Mercedes-Benz and Chrysler
Hyundai L&C is a leader in the construction materials industry, producing high-end stone countertops for suppliers in Canada and the United States.
General Dynamics Land Systems Canada (GDLS-C) manufactures light and medium armoured vehicles. In 2014 GDLS-C was awarded the largest advanced manufacturing export contract in Canada’s history.
Diamond Aircraft Industries is amongst the leading aircraft manufacturers in General Aviation, producing a complete range of certified piston aircraft models.
FreePoint Technologies Inc. is a leader in Industry 4.0 monitoring solutions for machines of any age, helping all levels of manufacturing to create smart factory connections.
Trojan Technologies develops water purification technologies including UV disinfection and UV-oxidation systems for municipal water and wastewater treatment in London.
RenixUIX™ is the world’s only steady state ion exchange system in the Liquid Separations market. Renix uses proprietary technology to purify materials in multiple sectors including Industrial Water Management.
Sodecia North America specializes in state-of-the-art metal-formed components, complex modules and mechanical assemblies for the automotive industry in the U.S., Canada, Europe, South America, and Asia.
- Fully serviced industrial land at Innovation Park includes large capacity high pressure natural gas lines and redundant dual-feed electricity supply
- Situated strategically on the 401/402/403 highway system, London is within two hours of three major USA border crossings
- London is the only municipality in Canada that draws fresh water from two great lakes, providing a redundant supply of high quality fresh water. This water is certified to meet many elements of HACCP and ISO9001
- The existing manufacturing supply chain includes 12 Original Equipment Manufacturer’s (OEMs) and many Tiers 1-3, logistics, distribution, warehousing, robotics, and Industry 4.0 firms
- Controlled Goods Certified Intermodal Trans-Loading facilities are available with railcar storage and 350,000lb overhead crane capacity to provide excellent access to the North American railway system through CN and CP railway systems
- London International Airport offers 24 hour Canada Customs service and a 40,000 square foot multi-unit cargo complex and direct flights via Air Canada and Westjet, to Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Calgary, Winnipeg, Halifax, and Moncton
Research & Development
- Fanshawe College’s Canadian Centre for Product Validation is the first of its kind in Canada offering comprehensive expertise for prototyping, validation, and failure analysis
- The Centre for Research and Innovation at Fanshawe College links industry, business and community partners with Fanshawe student and faculty researchers to develop research and innovation projects and programs.
- At Western University, manufacturers can leverage the Fraunhofer Project Centre for Composites to test and develop industrial products, as well as Surface Science and the Biotron for research and development services in the energy, environmental, and automotive sectors. Companies can also collaborate with Western’s Industry 4.0 Network to investigate projects on cyber technologies and automation
- The National Research Council has a Manufacturing and Automotive Innovation Hub in London to help automotive manufacturers adopt more advance manufacturing approaches, including mass customization, process industrialization, and data-driven factory automation
- Companies in the green and clean technologies space can access the Southern Ontario Water Consortium to support the installation, testing, and validation of innovative water technologies
- More than 40 skilled trade and apprenticeship programs are offered at Fanshawe College, focused on construction, industrial, motive power and service. At the post-degree level, employees can access programs at Fanshawe’s Corporate Training Solutions to enhance their trades and technology skills
- Western Engineering provides talented graduates and interns from a range of programs including chemical, civil, computer, electrical, green process, integrated, mechanical, and mechatronic, and software
- Local employees demonstrate commitment with a low turnover rate. Average tenure for Ontario manufacturing jobs is 9 years.
- London Region Composites Training – LEDC coordinates training programs in response to industry
- The Frontline Supervisor Program, delivered in partnership with the Ivey Academy and Fanshawe Corporate Training Solutions, provides supervisors, lead hands, and team leaders with essential leadership and communication skills
- Looking for jobs or talent in the London region’s manufacturing sector? Our London Manufacturing Jobs portal is a free resource to help employers promote their open positions and for jobseekers to discover careers
- The Ontario Automotive Modernization Program (O-AMP) provides funding for up to $100,000 to help cover up to 50% of eligible project costs, to introduce new technology or lean manufacturing to your business
- The Southwestern Ontario Development Fund (SWODF) provides support for projects and investments to businesses, municipalities, and not-for-profit organizations for economic development in southwestern Ontario
- Federal Development Business Scale-Up and Productivity funding helps to accelerate growth of firms and assist with the adoption of new, innovative technologies that support scale-up, productivity, and the development of an entry into new markets
- The Strategic Innovation Fund offers repayable and non-repayable loans through four streams that support R&D commercialization, firm expansion and growth, investment attraction and reinvestment, and collaborative technology development
- The Southern Ontario Fund for Investment in Innovation (SOFII) loan program, supports high-growth, innovative Small and Medium-sized Enterprises to overcome challenges
- The Canada-Ontario Job Grant provides direct financial support to employers who wish to purchase training for their employees
- Manufacturing Matters is an annual half-day conference that showcases industry leaders, provides B2B networking opportunities and breakout sessions on key topics like funding, skills development, recruitment, labour law, workplace safety and cyber security
- CTV’s Made Right Here Series showcases a variety of products manufactured in London
- The Excellence in Manufacturing Consortium (EMC) offers a broad range of services and programs to help manufacturers become more competitive
- The London Region Manufacturing Council (LRMC) is an industry-driven council that fosters growth and prosperity of the manufacturing industry in the London area
- The Canadian Manufacturers & Exporters, Southwestern Ontario Branch (CME-SWOB) awards scholarships to students pursuing careers in engineering and the skilled trades at an annual Manufacturer’s Recognition ceremony
Case StudyCase Study: Brose Canada Inc.
With a workforce of 750 and investments totaling $170 million, the international auto parts maker based in Germany is one of London’s largest players in the advanced manufacturing sector. Since 2005, Brose Canada has stamped more than 180 million seat frames and 22.5 million seat adjusters at its two London plants. Click here to view the full case study.
Testimonial: Starlim North America
London gives us the ability to serve our customers, regardless of where they are in the world, which has been integral to our growth. We've tapped into the educational institutions in the city to put employees through training for mold making or tooling. Those employees are now our leaders.
Vijai Lakshmikanthan, Vice President, Starlim North America
Looking for jobs or talent for manufacturing jobs in London and area? Look no further. Our London Manufacturing Jobs page is dedicated to showcasing open job postings in this thriving sector.
June 2 & 9, 2020 | 9 - 11:30 AM
By effectively managing a multi-generational workforce, organizations can gain a strategic and competitive advantage by helping all employees perform to their full potential.
June 3, 2020 | 10:30AM - 11:30AM
Join the London Economic Development Corporation (LEDC) and the Ministry of Economic Development, Job Creation and Trade (MEDJCT) for an informative webinar about digital transformation in the COVID-19 recovery phase.
June 3, 2020 | 12:00 - 1:00 pm
Chantal Brine of EnPoint will share strategies and then lead a discussion on how to build meaningful relationships online and cultivate them for years to come.
May 28, 2020Revised May 28, 2020: COVID-19 Government Support Announced
Read the updated resources on the COVID-19 Government Announced Support.
May 27, 2020Revised May 27, 2020: COVID-19 Government Support Announced
Read the updated resources on the COVID-19 Government Announced Support.
May 27, 2020Webinar: Applying to the Regional & Recovery Fund
This webinar was hosted by the London Economic Development Corporation (LEDC) and officials from the Federal Economic Development Agency for Southern Ontario (FedDev Ontario) about the new Regional Relief and Recovery Fund (RRRF).