Serving the world from London, Ontario
November 20, 2017
Entrepreneurial activities are increasingly being recognized for significant job creation throughout Canada. In London, Ontario, more than 20,000 entrepreneurs fuel our economy through the wealth they generate, the talent they hire, and the innovative technologies and services they offer. Entrepreneurial companies are key to building our economy and attracting and retaining people.
From November 13-19, 2017, Global Entrepreneurship Week (GEW) celebrated entrepreneurs around the world. GEW is a celebration of the innovators and job creators who launch startups that bring ideas to life and drive economic growth. During one week each November, GEW inspires people everywhere through local, national, and global activities designed to help them explore their potential as self-starters and innovators.
You can check out some local GEW events that took place at Propel Entrepreneurship at Western University here.
The LEDC joined this global conversation to help highlight London, Ontario companies that started here, remain headquartered here and are creating products and innovations for the world.
Did you know that the technology behind many automobile websites are powered by one of London’s most advanced software companies? Countless times a day, someone in North America scrolls through pictures, colours and accessories, compares factory rebates and financing options, all on a platform delivered by Autodata Solutions Inc. With 500+ people in offices across North America and Europe, London, Ontario is the company’s headquarters and hub for innovation.
Read more about how Autodata is driving global markets.
Trudell Medical International
Chronic lung disease is a disease that affects and kills millions of people each year. Treatments for lung disease are being revolutionized right here in London, Ontario by Trudell Medical International. Their aerosol drug delivery services and over 400 products are shipped to more than 110 countries.
Discover how Trudell gets connected to London’s talented workforce and expertise to support their growth in this case study.
Did you know that The New York Times, NBC, Microsoft, and Hulu have all used a London, Ontario built platform to find voice over talent? Started in London in 2005, Voices.com is now the largest market with over 200,000 voice actors to choose from. Next time you listen to a mobile app, audiobook, commercial or video game, you could be listening to one of Voices.com's many successful projects.
Voices.com ranks 61 out of the Top 100 in the 29th annual PROFIT 500 ranking of Canada's Fastest-Growing Companies by Canadian Business, reporting a five-year revenue growth of 1,166%.
Hudson Boat Works
From national team athletes in the United Kingdom to high school rowing teams in New Zealand, Hudson Boat Works's global reach continues to expand as the sport gains in popularity and recognition. Founded in London, Ontario, the company has grown from a two-man operation out of a garage to one of the top three companies in the world who make premium rowing shells.
Read about how Hudson is crafting a boatload of success in Business London Magazine.
Did you know that Digital Extremes in London, Ontario is the extreme team behind the free-to-play game Warframe? They have well over 5 million users worldwide, in more than 100 different countries as far as Brazil, Russia, and China. Founded in 1993 by James Schmalz, Digital Extremes ranks as one of the world's top development studios in the interactive entertainment industry.
Digital Extremes is recognized as one of Canada's Top 100 Employers for 2017.
For 40 years, Trojan Technologies has provided sustainable clean water treatment solutions that impact over one billion lives around the world. Started as an entrepreneurial venture in 1976, the company has seven global businesses in 14 countries. The products and services provided by these businesses play vital roles in making various states of the water treatment process more effective, efficient, and sustainable.
Trojan is currently working with the City of London on innovative solids management technology, funded through BLOOM's Ontario Clean Technology Demonstration Project.
ZTR Control Systems
ZTR Control Systems sells its railroad and industrial IoT solutions globally, to North America, Europe, Africa, and South America. On an annual basis they deploy well over 100,000 pieces of equipment worldwide, utilizing solutions designed and built right here in London, Ontario.
ZTR is recognized as one of Canada's Best Managed Companies.
Made in London
From baking dog treats to building rowing sculls for elite athletes, London is at the manufacturing forefront of world-renowned products. Around the world, pizza crusts rise, high-tech cameras capture aerospace engineers in flight, and White House doors provide security to the President of the United States. We are proud of these products made right here in London, Ontario. Here's a few you may not have realized were made in the Forest City:
- Room for an Oscar: In 2010, Ireland-born and London resident Emma Donoghue captivated readers around the world for her award-winning novel, Room. Fast forward six years and she's received an Academy Award for her adapted screenplay
- Full Shutter Speed: What do the International Space Station, 2014 Sochi Olympics, and the discovery of the Titanic all have in common? IO Industries of London, Ontario made the high-tech cameras that filmed these monumental moments
- Wind Busters: Who do you call when you want to build an office tower 50 stories tall? Western University's Boundary Layer Wind Tunnel Laboratory (BLWTL) has provided wing engineering solutions for London, England's Canary Wharf development since 1985. Canary Wharf depends on BLWTL for local wind climate analysis, pedestrian comfort and safety evaluations, and structural load and exterior materials testing
- A Global Quest for Flavour: Creating innovative flavour solutions that translate to more than 110 countries around the world is what McCormick Canada is all about. The company is creating custom flavour solutions for 9 of the top 10 multinational food manufacturers and 8 of the top 10 global foodservice restaurants, right here from London, Ontario
- The Birthplace of Insulin: London's proud history of medical discovery goes back to 1920 when Sir Frederick Banting, a young doctor, woke up at 2 a.m. with a brilliant idea. He collaborated with C.H. Best, J. B. Collip, and J.J.R. Macleod to make Insulin, one of the most significant discoveries in medicine. Today, insulin enables millions of people with diabetes to live healthy lives
London today, tomorrow the world
This could be you! If you were inspired by the global leaders and made in London successes we highlighted during Global Entrepreneurship Week, visit our London iNC. portal to see how the LEDC and many local support services can help take your startup to the next level.
You can also connect with us using our sector pages if you need assistance growing your manufacturing, life sciences, professional services, or digital creative business.
October 16, 20177 Important Resources for Local Entrepreneurs in London, ON
Once you have that brilliant business idea, where do you go from there? These are some questions most people venturing into the entrepreneurial world have asked themselves. Lucky for them, London is bursting with opportunities for support, advice, coaching, planning, networking, and more.