Did You Know?
More than 25,000 people are currently employed at London hospitals and research institutions, including over 2,000 researchers. This sector continues to attract global attention and investment.
With two regional teaching hospitals, world renowned research institutes and international medical firsts, London has proven to be the place where medical innovation can thrive. Combine this with an ever-growing culture of entrepreneurship and it is no surprise to find companies developing unique health-care solutions and applications.
- Areas of expertise include biomedical, biotechnology, medical devices, clinical trials, medical imaging, and advanced robotic surgery
- London is home to the London Health Sciences Centre (LHSC) - one of Canada’s largest acute-care teaching hospitals, providing care to more than one-million patients annually
- St. Joseph's Health Care London - comprised of St. Joseph's Hospital, Parkwood Institute, Regional Mental Health Care London, Southwest Centre for Forensic Mental Health Care, Mount Hope Centre for Long Term Care, plus numerous locations across the region - is one of Ontario's leading teaching hospitals, specializing in chronic disease management, long-term care, and veterans care.
- Established in 1881, the Schulich School of Medicine and Dentistry was one of the founding schools of Western University and is known for being the birthplace of family medicine in Canada
- Access to temporary lab spaces and services, including a fully-equipped wet and dry lab space at the Stiller Centre for Technology Commercialization, aimed at lowering the hurdles for startup and small technology-based ventures
- The Canadian Surgical Technologies and Advanced Robotics (CSTAR) is one of only eight training centres in the world for da VinciⓇ Surgical Systems, which trains and certifies surgeons to perform minimally invasive procedures
Education, Research & Development
- London is home to diverse areas of research and expertise developed at facilities including Robarts Research Institute, The National Research Council of Canada, and The London Regional Cancer Program
- With more than 1,200 employees and an annual budget of over $50 million in research funding, the Lawson Health Research Institute is one of the largest hospital-based research institutes in Canada
- The Western University Brain and Mind Institute houses neuroimaging, neurophysiology and behavioural testing resources that provide advanced capabilities for scanning and interpreting the brain. It is the leading Canadian Centre for advanced imaging technology
- Western offers programs ranging from Bioengineering, Biology, Biochemistry to Nursing. Key areas of excellence include Biomedical Imaging, Oncology, MusculoSkeletal Health, CardioVascular, Respiratory Health and Metabolic Diseases; Infection and Immunity, Maternal, Fetal, Child and Family Health; Neuroscience and Mental Health.
- Fanshawe offers a wide variety of educational options including diploma programs ranging from Anesthesia Assistant to Science Laboratory Technician as well as certification programs for a variety of industrial clients. Fanshawe College also offers an applied Degree in Biotechnology, a leading degree program that provides opportunities in areas including pharmaceutical and medical devices.
Case StudyCase Study: Trudell Medical Limited
Trudell Medical Limited has worked with the LEDC to get connected to London’s talented workforce and expertise, as well as Western University and Fanshawe College, particularly in the areas of research and production. The company ships its products to more than 106 countries and has helped to put London on the world stage. Click here to view the full case study.
Testimonial: 3M Canada
London’s legacy of excellence in teaching, research and care delivery makes us uniquely positioned to be a centre for medical innovation and commercializationLisa Mackie, Business Manager, Infection Prevention Division, 3M Canada
September 25, 2018 | 2:00PM - 7:00PM
Jobseekers are invited to connect with hiring employers - bring your resume, your enthusiasm and your skills to make your next career connection. Employers with open positions and employment agencies are invited to attend.
October 3, 2018
Join us on October 3 for St. Joseph's Tribute Dinner in support of patient and resident care at St. Joseph's. Fresh off his 15th and final season of the award-winning The Rick Mercer Report, we are bringing Canadian comedian and political satirist Rick Mercer to perform his acclaimed show Canada: Coast to Coast to Coast.
November 13, 2018 | 8:30AM - 3:30PM
In this Business Momentum workshop, you'll gain understanding around the new landscape of account management and business development has been crucial for organizations moving from Start-Up to Scale-Up. By developing an effective approach for the sales process, the group will ensure every member on your team is ready for a sales call.
July 10, 2018Best Workplaces in Manufacturing 2018
Congratulations to 3M Canada on ranking on the 2018 list of Best Workplaces™ in Canada in manufacturing sector.
July 06, 20182018 – Canada’s Top 40 Under 40
Congratulations to Dr. Andrea Sereda, Physician at the London Intercommunity Health Centre in London, Ontario, on being recognized as one of Canada's Top 40 under 40.
June 21, 2018Western medical school dean accepts nationwide job
Canada’s new “medical researcher-in-chief” is Londoner Michael Strong, the dean at Western University’s Schulich School of Medicine and Dentistry. Article by: Dan Brown, The London Free Press, June 21, 2018.