Did You Know?
More than 25,000 people are currently employed at London hospitals and research institutions, including over 2,000 researchers. As healthcare and medical innovation take a front seat in the City of London’s economic roadmap, this sector is expected to continue to attract global attention and investment.
With two regional teaching hospitals, world renowned research institutes and international medical firsts, London has proven to be the place where medical innovation can thrive. Combine this with an ever-growing culture of entrepreneurship and it is no surprise to find companies developing unique health-care solutions and applications.
- Areas of expertise include biomedical, biotechnology, medical devices, clinical trials, medical imaging, and advanced robotic surgery
- London is home to the London Health Sciences Centre (LHSC) - one of Canada’s largest acute-care teaching hospitals, providing care to more than one-million patients annually
- Established in 1881, the Schulich School of Medicine and Dentistry was one of the founding schools of Western University and is known for being the birthplace of family medicine in Canada
- Access to temporary lab spaces and services, including a fully-equipped wet and dry lab space at the Stiller Centre for Technology Commercialization, aimed at lowering the hurdles for startup and small technology-based ventures
- The Canadian Surgical Technologies and Advanced Robotics (CSTAR) is one of only eight training centres in the world for da VinciⓇ Surgical Systems, which trains and certifies surgeons to perform minimally invasive procedures
Education, Research & Development
- London is home to diverse areas of research and expertise developed at facilities including Robarts Research Institute, The National Research Council of Canada, and The London Regional Cancer Program
- With more than 1,200 employees and an annual budget of over $50 million in research funding, the Lawson Health Research Institute is one of the largest hospital-based research institutes in Canada
- The Western University Brain and Mind Institute houses neuroimaging, neurophysiology and behavioural testing resources that provide advanced capabilities for scanning and interpreting the brain. It is the leading Canadian Centre for advanced imaging technology
- Western offers programs ranging from Bioengineering, Biology, Biochemistry to Nursing. Key areas of excellence include Biomedical Imaging, Oncology, MusculoSkeletal Health, CardioVascular, Respiratory Health and Metabolic Diseases; Infection and Immunity, Maternal, Fetal, Child and Family Health; Neuroscience and Mental Health.
- Fanshawe offers a wide variety of educational options including diploma programs ranging from Anesthesia Assistant to Science Laboratory Technician as well as certification programs for a variety of industrial clients. Fanshawe College also offers an applied Degree in Biotechnology, a leading degree program that provides opportunities in areas including pharmaceutical and medical devices.
Case StudyTrudell Medical Limited
Trudell Medical Limited has worked with the LEDC to get connected to London’s talented workforce and expertise, as well as Western University and Fanshawe College, particularly in the areas of research and production. The company ships its products to more than 106 countries and has helped to put London on the world stage. Click here to view the full case study.
London’s legacy of excellence in teaching, research and care delivery makes us uniquely positioned to be a centre for medical innovation and commercializationLisa Mackie, Business Manager, Infection Prevention Division, 3M Canada
June 5, 2018 | 9:00AM to 12:00PM
In this practical and engaging workshop learn how to enhance your own personal effectiveness and leadership capability to build resilience in you as a leader as well as teams and organizations.
September 25, 2018 | 2:00PM - 7:00PM
Jobseekers are invited to connect with hiring employers - bring your resume, your enthusiasm and your skills to make your next career connection. Employers with open positions and employment agencies are invited to attend.
Save the date for April 16, 2019 | 2:00PM - 7:00PM
Jobseekers are invited to connect with hiring employers - bring your resume, your enthusiasm and your skills to make your next career connection. Employers with open positions and employment agencies are invited to attend. This is a save the date - stay tuned for more details.
May 07, 2018Putting local economic development in the national spotlight
Created by the International Economic Development Council (IEDC), National Economic Development Week is a campaign that runs from May 7-12. Join the conversation with us!
May 01, 2018Ontario Boosting London Economy with Over 700 Jobs
Province partners with local businesses to strengthen regional economic growth.
April 04, 2018Tilray® Launches High Park Company™ to Produce and Distribute Adult-Use Cannabis in Canada
High Park Company secures the exclusive rights to recognized brands and proprietary product formulations, announces an investment of up to $10 million in new cannabis processing facility to be established in London, Ontario.