Did You Know?
More than 25,000 people are currently employed at London hospitals and research institutions, including over 2,000 researchers. As healthcare and medical innovation take a front seat in the City of London’s economic roadmap, this sector is expected to continue to attract global attention and investment.
With two regional teaching hospitals, world renowned research institutes and international medical firsts, London has proven to be the place where medical innovation can thrive. Combine this with an ever-growing culture of entrepreneurship and it is no surprise to find companies developing unique health-care solutions and applications.
- Areas of expertise include biomedical, biotechnology, medical devices, clinical trials, medical imaging, and advanced robotic surgery
- London is home to the London Health Sciences Centre (LHSC) - one of Canada’s largest acute-care teaching hospitals, providing care to more than one-million patients annually
- Established in 1881, the Schulich School of Medicine and Dentistry was one of the founding schools of Western University and is known for being the birthplace of family medicine in Canada
- Access to temporary lab spaces and services, including a fully-equipped wet and dry lab space at the Stiller Centre for Technology Commercialization, aimed at lowering the hurdles for startup and small technology-based ventures
- The Canadian Surgical Technologies and Advanced Robotics (CSTAR) is one of only eight training centres in the world for da VinciⓇ Surgical Systems, which trains and certifies surgeons to perform minimally invasive procedures
Education, Research & Development
- London is home to diverse areas of research and expertise developed at facilities including Robarts Research Institute, The National Research Council of Canada, and The London Regional Cancer Program
- With more than 1,200 employees and an annual budget of over $50 million in research funding, the Lawson Health Research Institute is one of the largest hospital-based research institutes in Canada
- The Western University Brain and Mind Institute houses neuroimaging, neurophysiology and behavioural testing resources that provide advanced capabilities for scanning and interpreting the brain. It is the leading Canadian Centre for advanced imaging technology
- Western offers programs ranging from Bioengineering, Biology, Biochemistry to Nursing. Key areas of excellence include Biomedical Imaging, Oncology, MusculoSkeletal Health, CardioVascular, Respiratory Health and Metabolic Diseases; Infection and Immunity, Maternal, Fetal, Child and Family Health; Neuroscience and Mental Health.
- Fanshawe offers a wide variety of educational options including diploma programs ranging from Anesthesia Assistant to Science Laboratory Technician as well as certification programs for a variety of industrial clients. Fanshawe College also offers an applied Degree in Biotechnology, a leading degree program that provides opportunities in areas including pharmaceutical and medical devices.
Case StudyTrudell Medical Limited
Trudell Medical Limited has worked with the LEDC to get connected to London’s talented workforce and expertise, as well as Western University and Fanshawe College, particularly in the areas of research and production. The company ships its products to more than 106 countries and has helped to put London on the world stage. Click here to view the full case study.
London’s legacy of excellence in teaching, research and care delivery makes us uniquely positioned to be a centre for medical innovation and commercializationLisa Mackie, Business Manager, Infection Prevention Division, 3M Canada
December 13, 2017Jones Packaging to Receive 2018 Corporate Icon Award
The London Chamber of Commerce is pleased to announce that the winner of the 2018 Corporate Icon Award is Jones Packaging. The Corporate Icon Award is presented by the Board of Directors each year to a corporation that has demonstrated particular excellence or achievement in business, making either an immediate impact on, or a substantial long-term contribution to, the economic progress of our community.
November 20, 2017New Wage Subsidy Program Helps New Graduates Gain Scientific Experience in Environmental Fields
BioTalent Canada today announced a new wage-subsidy program to help new graduates in science, technology, engineering, or mathematics (STEM) acquire work experience in environmental STEM fields.
November 13, 2017DBC Solutions
London medical company saving lives with simple diagnostic tests. Video by: Celine Moreau, CTV London, November 13, 2017.